Tuesday 17 November 2009

My trip to London

I was invited to represent the school at this symposium at Imperial College. Professor Harry Elliot was a student at this school in the 1930s. His name appears 3 times on the honours board in the library.


I got to find out about his start in cosmic ray research and how he then built a whole research team at Imperial College, London. He became one of the key people in European space research, sitting on committees that planned and carried out scientific space missions. I discovered that he had a key involvement in several things that I have taught.


He was responsible for the quenching agent in a Geiger Muller tube.


He was involved in planning the mission that produced the gamma ray photograph of the Milky Way that I use with year 10.


The number of professors in attendance shows that he commanded enormous respect.


I'm deeply grateful to Professor Steve Scwartz and Professor Andre Balogh for inviting me.

Try this link for further details of their research programme