Thursday 10 December 2009

A controversial book

I had my letter published in the Cumberland News suggesting that people read David MacKay's book "Sustainable Energy: Without Hot Air". It's his opinion so it's become a controversial book.
The letter next to mine suggested another book: "The Real Global Warming Disaster" by Christopher Booker. I have bought the book and am reading it. He is a climate change skeptic. ie he thinks that even if there is any global warming, it is not caused by humans. He does bring up some evidence that is hard to argue against. As far as I can tell, historically, rises in carbon dioxide actually follow rises in temperature, so it would be hard to say that carbon dioxide causes the rise.
At present, I am with the consensus blaming humans for global warming at the moment. But I've always believed that science is like a court case. You should listen to arguments from both sides and decide on the basis of the evidence. Hence it's always possible that new evidence might make me rethink my position. I'll let you know how the book goes.