Wednesday 22 September 2010

The future of physics in the UK

The Institute of Physics is concerned that physics needs adequate funding in this climate of cuts. I do believe that physics is vital for the future of the country. People who have studied physics will be responsible for providing energy and for the innovative technology that can earn the country billions. Being very careful not to make this column party political, I wanted to comment on what I heard on the business news on Radio 4 this morning. A representative of the business community was saying that the cap on non-EU nationals being allowed to work in the UK was having a big effect. I woke up when she mentioned the energy provider EDF. This is the reason: As physics has been allowed to run down as a subject in this country, we have begun to rely on hiring physicists from abroad. At the moment, strong nations for training physics are Russia, China and Japan. They would be affected by the cap. From my point of view I think the country needs to decide one of two ways:
1. Do we give up on physics because no one here is interested and just hire physicists from the east?
2. Do we decide that hiring from abroad is a bd thing but then work hard to boost physics in this country?
Answers on a postcard... However, I need to make time to write to my MP to air these concerns.