Wednesday 10 November 2010

The future of energy?

We went to Watchtree Nature Reserve on Sunday. You can see these turbines from the window of my lab. They are going round nicely this morning! Most opinions that I hear in these parts are against wind power and in favour of nuclear. It is very different to the opinions I heard in Nottingham. However, there are a lot of jobs in nuclear. Importantly, there is a meeting being held by Allerdale Borough Council in the Market Hall in Wigton on Thursday 25 November to discuss the council's interest in having nuclear waste buried beneath us. There will be presentations at 4.30pm and 6.30pm. I will definitely go to one of them. If you'd asked me 5 years ago I would have been strongly against nuclear power. In the mean time, I've read a book about the aftermath of Chernobyl which suggests it might not be that bad, so Ive got an open mind and will listen to what they have to say. It is my opinion that you can't be in favour of nuclear power but insist that all the bad stuff goes somewhere else. And of course you are allowed to disagree!
An interesting opinion on wind farms comes from a woman called Sara Maitland. She is a writer who has retreated to silence in a remote part of Galloway. Read what she says by going to her website, clicking on "About me" and scrolling to the bottom.
We notice wind farms, but can you spot the TV masts and pylons on this photograph of Skiddaw?