Monday 26 January 2015

Take the physics teacher bowling

I hadn't been bowling for years so I'd like to blame overthinking it for my defeat. The balls have different masses. So should I choose a lighter ball that I can bowl faster or a heavier one that I find harder to shift? Would there be much difference in their momenta? In the end, I found that the faster I tried to bowl them, the less accurate. But I was struggling to get "strike" even with a heavy, slower, accurate ball. I could knock over 8 or 9 but not the elusive last couple. At the far end, is it momentum or kinetic energy that is important. If it is KE, then perhaps speed is more important because that squares. But I had less success with the lighter balls. Also, I get tired so it ceases to be a controlled experiment, More research needed.