Monday 31 August 2015

Sheringham Shoal wind farm

Here's a photograph of the Sheringham Shoal wind farm off the Norfolk coast. I took the photograph from the wonderfully named Beeston Bump. You can see the turbines on the horizon if you look carefully. Yes they are obvious, but sitting on the beach later I had to consciously search for them. Details are on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheringham_Shoal_Offshore_Wind_Farm It suggests a sensible average output of 125MW. That's maybe one tenth of a big nuclear power station. One local critic suggested to me that a boat was sent out to the turbines every day which emiited more CO2 in fuel than the turbines save. I saw no ship working on the turbines in 3 days on the coast. Sadly I didn't have time to go to the visitor centre. Many things are said about turbines but I can never seem to get data to decide either way.