Tuesday 3 November 2015

Subtractive colour mixing: an experiment with watercolours


I've always wanted to be a painter so I succumbed to an impulse purchase of cheap watercolors over the summer. A spot of Youtube tuition later and here are the results. It turned out that the trick was to mix the colours together. It was many years ago that I first found out that Art and Science have different primary colours. In Physics, we start with darkness and add in coloured LIGHT. This is additive colour mixing where extra energy at different wavelengths is added to the spectrum. You can add in red, green and blue and you add these frequencies to get white. In Art, it's about what reflects back when you shine on white light. Or more to the point, what gets absorbed. That's why paint mixing is called SUBTRACTIVE colour mixing. Each pigment absorbs different frequencies and what's left gets reflected back. Now I know the theory I just need to get some talent ...