Tuesday 12 January 2016

Power station in Portugal

Taken from a moving coach, I think that this is the Ribatejo natural gas power station on the outskirts of Lisbon. It is one of the biggest in Portugal in terms of power output, having a capacity of 1176MW according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_power_stations_in_Portugal It looks a lot smaller than the UK power stations I'm used to but I'm not sure it's capacity is that much lower. For example, Ferrybridge looks massive but has just under double the capacity. I was taken by the red and white chimneys and pylons. I can't find a reason but surely it is for aircraft. Why don't aircraft seem to be a problem in the UK? Also, they say that one third of the white storks in Portugal nest on pylons. But that can't be the reason because the chimneys are painted.