Tuesday 19 July 2016

Spin the engine on the La'al Ratty at Ravenglass


We were on the La'al Ratty. At the end of each journey they turn the engine by hand. How do the numbers look? For rotational motion, we don't use F=ma. We use torque = moment of inertia x angular acceleration. I inquired about the mass of the engine and was told 7 tonnes. I found out that it is 24 feet long which is 7.3 metres. I put these into the moment of inertia calculator at http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi2.html#irod2 and it gave me 31085.8 kg metres squared. I pressed some scales against the wall at home and found my force was about 200N. The torque would therefore be 200N x 3.65m = 730Nm. This means that the angular acceleration would be 0.023 rad per second per second. This is about 1.5 degrees of turning per second per second. Then we need the angular equivalent of the suvat equations. This will need explaining elsewhere but by my calculation it would take 16 seconds to turn the train through 180 degrees. Not bad.