Wednesday 14 February 2018

Losing to a Fermi question

Our team came equal first in a fiendish pub quiz. The tie breaker was what I'd call a Fermi question. I have used these a lot with classes so I was ashamed to lose. It was late, we were only given a couple of minutes to think, we'd traveled all day and I was tired - those are my excuses. This was the question: how many Kit-Kat fingers are consumed globally in one minute? I started with the world population at about 6000 million and worked downwards. We stopped at 500,000. The winners guessed 100,000. Both were wildly out as the answer given was about 400. Later Mrs B came up with a better way of thinking about it: How many bars can roll off the end of the production line in a minute. Enrico Fermi was the great Italian physicist. When he taught in Chicago he pioneered these seemingly random questions as a way of getting students to model the way that physicists develop models and calculations. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_problem I can even use ones for homework where the answer is not available on the Internet. My favourite of these is "how many take-away pizzas were sold in Cumbria last year?"