Saturday 2 February 2019

The Moon, Venus and my camera

I tried to photograph the lunar eclipse two weeks ago but got only a black image. My lovely cheap camera is not so good in low light so I was surprised that it was able to pick up Venus left of the Moon the other day. A little research shows that the camera contains a CMOS detector, not a CCD. I have taught about CCDs for years but hadn't realised that there was an alternative. CMOS is an abbreviation I know from transistors. Apparently the light sensors are made by the multiple transistor production process and are thus very cheap. Each pixel has its own tiny amplifier which means that there are more areas on the sensor that don't pick up light. Also the detection has more "noise" than CCD. However, they use less power. No wonder my batteries are lasting longer. https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/cameras-photography/digital/question362.htm