Wednesday 24 April 2019

Skiddaw Metamorphic Aureole 2: Sinen Gill

 Sinen Gill is famous as one of the three places that the underlying Skiddaw Granite reaches the surface. I went looking for the join between the granite and the metamorphosed country rock. I couldn't find the precise place mentioned in the guides but did find the weathered section mentioned.
 I found a large white piece of granite by the stream and there was weathered granite. The rock above, in the picture above, is not granite. I think that is hornfels. So I think this must be where the granite met the country rock. If so, then the temperature 400 million years ago would have been over 1000 degrees Celsius. The metamorphosed rock is brittle in the correct physics definition. It breaks without deformation, but then all rock does. It's just that it breaks into square blocks whereas the original Skiddaw Slate breaks into flat sections along the layers.