Wednesday 26 June 2019

Stupidly steep on Graystones


The path up the side of Graystones from the Whinlatter road is ridiculously steep. I have long held a theory that stupidly steep walkers paths are always 45 degrees. No way to measure it on the hill so I worked out that with two equal length walking poles, I could tell if it was 45 degrees. The poles would make a right angle with their tops touching. I tried to use the straps as plumb lines to get as perpendicular as possible. Even on the mountain, it was clear that the angle would come out close to 30 degrees. I have taken a protractor to the background in the top photograph to confirm that. The trigonometry works out as arctan(7/13) = 28 degrees for the poles, based on measurements from an enlarged photograph where each pole as 13cm long.