Wednesday 5 January 2022

Vesta V47 turbine at Watchtree

Watchtree have placed the old generator from a turbine on display. It prompted me to go looking for information on the turbines. I started here. I found that they are quite old turbines made in Denmark called Vesta V47. Each one can generate 660kW. Even better was the information on the turbine type. I always love a graph and if you scroll down it shows what to expect for each wind speed. Translating into miles per hour, it needs 9mph to get generating, hits full power at 33mph and shuts down at 56mph. The turbine forecast for tomorrow is 68% which I assume means 68% of 660kW = 450kW. From the graph that means wind speed of 10m/s which is 22mph. The BBC forecast for Wigton is for 16mph tomorrow. Watchtree is exposed so the prediction is not unrealistic but it has to be really windy to generate full power.