Thursday 14 April 2022

Evidence of an anticline in the Black Rocks formation

 After I found the conglomerate from yesterday's post, I walked along the beach and took this picture looking back at where I'd been. Notice that the rocks are slightly tilted and angled up.

That means that the conglomerate must have been on the top of the tilted pile of rocks. These layers in the foreground are older and must be Carboniferous limestone. Then I went further along the beach and noticed that the rocks where tilted the other way. The photograph was taken facing the same way.

I can only conclude that there must have been a peak somewhere between the two photographs with the layers going up one side and down the other. Such a wave peak in folded rocks is called an anticline. It meant that now as I went further along the beach, the rocks stopped getting older and started getting younger.