Thursday 30 November 2023

Moons of Jupiter

The run of clear skies with Jupiter prominent has convinced me finally to take an interest in the Galilean moons. One issue is that they won't photograph with my set up, so I went back old school and started to draw them. Nothing drawn for the 26th because I could only see two moons and thought perhaps the bright Full Moon was affecting visibility. Last night the penny finally dropped - sometimes when you look, the moons of Jupiter are in front of or behind Jupiter! Also I had been assuming that they were always at the extremes of their orbit as seen from Earth, but they might be part way round with our view seeing them shuttling backwards and forwards on an edgeways line view. This brilliant viewer has helped me to understand what I'm looking at.