Tuesday 19 April 2016

Highland Boundary Fault from Conic Hill

I had a very happy trip to Balmaha on Loch Lomond. Not only did I get asked my age when buying beer but I found the Highland Boundary Fault. I have posted before about living on the remains of the continental collision that brought Scotland and England together. What I didn't realise was that Scotland was formed from more than one island on the same continent that crashed into each other in the collision. The Highland Boundary Fault was the scene of one of these collisions. I like the idea that it can be traced across many countries and is part of the evidence that we were once joined to America. The movement of the tectonic plates is a lovely piece of Physics: convection of molten rock in the mantle drags them along.
They had this lovely model of what it looks like:
 We climbed up to look at the real view.