Friday 1 April 2016

Zodiac clock at Snowshill Manor

Snowshill Manor in the Cotswolds is well-known for the bizarre collection of hand-crafted objects collected by Charles Wade. I liked this one in the garden. It's an astronomical clock. I didn't think enough when I was there to figure it out although I was surprised that the outer scale numbers to 12 twice. I had thought it just told you the current star sign. Looking at other pictures of it on Flickr, I think that the whole inner circle with the star signs on must rotate and that the Sun on the end of its hand is supposed to make one complete rotation every 24 hours, carrying the Zodiac dial with it, That's my hypothesis! If I ever go again, I'll ask. The constellations of the Zodiac are merely those on the same plane as the planets. I think the current star sign is supposed to be the constellation that is directly behind the Sun now.