Sunday 3 January 2021

Hayeswater Aqueduct and Boredale Hause - a possible explanation

 Our exploration of Boredale revealed that a pipeline extends all the way down to Penrith.

These covers are near the top.
The pipeline is obvious in the scree filled gully.

The pipeline must go under the path.
A bit of Internet research shows that Hayeswater was dammed in 1908 to provide water for Penrith. A filter house was built later below Hayeswater https://thefilterhouse.co.uk/history I had got it into my head that an aqueduct needed to be always heading downhill so I was expecting some sort of tunel through the hillside but an inspection of the original Wainwright Far Eastern guide showed that the aqueduct went down through the filter house into the valley at Hartsop and then back up the slanting path from Dubhow to Boredale Hause (this is not shown in the later editions that I now prefer) - see Angletarn Pikes page 4. I checked on the maps. Boredale Hause is 399m above sealevel but crucially Hayeswater is about 420m. If you put water into a u-tube it should flow down and then back up to its original height. Here it doesn't have to flow up as far so will be able to go over Boredale Hause and back down to Penrith. The aqeuduct is actually a pipeline. When I can get back into the lab, I intend to build a model.