Saturday 7 September 2013

Why I didn't see the Loch Ness Monster

The week after we returned from Loch Ness, a photograph was published purporting to show more evidence of the Loch Ness Monster. http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/26/do-new-pictures-from-amateur-photographer-prove-loch-ness-monster-exists-3938074/
 
I think the picture shown in the link is a stationary wave. Whilst we were at Loch Ness, a motor boat went past, trailing a wake behind it. Five minutes later, the wake was still there. The conditions had formed a stationary wave which did not decrease in amplitude for some time. At that point I decided I needed to photograph it, but by the time I'd got the camera from the van some minutes later, it had decreased almost to nothing, as shown in the picture below. So that's why I don't think the new picture shows the monster.