Sunday 8 June 2014

Magnetic field on Mungrisdale Common



Mungrisdale Common might look like an idyllic upland pasture in the bottom photograph but it's an awful swamp. Not sure why Wainwright put it in his Northern Fells book but I'm guessing it was to add a chapter to a thin volume. So this was our third visit. On Friday I remembered that I had access to a portable magnetic field strength meter that hadn't been used for years. So I'm going to start taking readings in different places. The reason for choosing Mungrisdale Common was that it is 5 miles from the nearest civilisation. Surely that will give an unpolluted reading of the Earth's magnetic field strength. The black plastic thin is a coated Hall Probe. I moved it around and got a maximum reading of 8.0 milli Teslas. I'm getting half that in my front room. Hmmm. I need to take more readings in different places. A weird place to go but it has a great view south to the highest fells in England.