Tuesday 28 October 2014

7 hours a day on XBox??


We found the Eco Centre in Southport. It contains displays with information about energy uses and consequences. I love having data to ponder. As such, the display above is wonderful. The pale green colour is for games console usage. I have to say that I know nothing about that at all. It's just not me. Too old! So I poked around on the Internet. XBox 360 seems to claim a 203Watt power supply. The pale green section of the graph might be 250 kWh per year. 250 divided by 0.2kW gives 1250 hours per year. That's 7 hours per day. I suppose it depends on how many people are using games consoles in one house, The display suggested that standby was to blame, I can't find a precise figure for that but found games consoles rated between 3W and 15W on standby. 15W would give about half of the annual usage suggested if the console was left on 24-7. In financial terms, if 1kWh is about 10p, then the total cost would be £25 per year.