Sunday 22 March 2015

After the eclipse

 I didn't get to use the eclipse glasses on Friday so we took them onto the fells above Grasmere today. It was still very bright even through the aluminised Mylar plastic film. It's not far off trying to see through kitchen foil! It's important that the filters don't let infra-red or ultra-violet through because these can also damage your eyes. I'm now thinking of ways to test my eclipse glasses at these wavelengths. My eyes seemed all right through my polarising sunglasses AND the eclipse glasses. I aimed to be as protected as possible...
A solar eclipse comes with a very high tide because the Sun and the Moon line up their gravitational pulls on the seas. There was a very low tide at Silloth on Friday night. And an eclipse comes just before the New Moon. So tonight there was a lovely crescent Moon with the planet Venus as a bright "star" just above it.