Tuesday 1 September 2015

Structure: abstract at UEA

We went to see an exhibition of abstract art at the Sainsbury Centre at UEA in Norwich. The exhibition featured the work of John Golding, as shown on their leaflet. The commentary emphasised the way that he gives structure to an otherwise abstract space. That reminded me of several things in Physics. One is the way that physicists go on about structure in the Universe. It looks random to me but the way that galaxies are grouped into clusters throughout space is significant. A second is the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram for the lifecycle of stars.
I was told that the pattern was amazing. I wasn't impressed first time I saw this plot of the brightness of a star against star type. I'm used to straight line graphs/ And yet there is a clear structure here. Golding's paintings remind me of this.