Tuesday 13 June 2017

Edward Elgar: Enigma Fountain in Great Malvern

 I've always loved Elgar's Enigma Variations so I was interested to find this fountain in Great Malvern. Water pressure on Earth is dependent solely on the height (OK, it's height x density x gravitational field strength which is why I specified water and Earth). The water gets pushed up 3m so it must have started 3m up the hill behind me. We climbed to St Ann's Well which was much higher than 3m up though. I was also interested to note the way that the water follows the inside of the arch after being released under the point of the arch. I'd say surface tension is keeping it attached to the stone but I normally use that to describe the water/air interface - the way that water pulls back in on itself and doesn't attach to the air. Here, the water has a force that attaches itself to the stone. So is that surface tension?