Friday 11 March 2022

Stationary wave in a closed-end pipe

 

In this experiment, I put a piece of waste water pipe into a sawn-off lemonade bottle of water. I hit a tuning fork and held it over the end. I moved the pipe up and down to find the loudest response from the pipe and measured the height from the water surface to the top of the pipe. I tried it with 8 different notes.

There is a node at the water surface and an antinode at the top. Actually the node is a small unknown distance above the top of the pipe, called the end correction e. h+e is a quarter of a wavelength. Here's a bit from my worksheet showing how the equation is manipulated:

So I plotted 1/f on the y-axis against h on the x-axis. The gradient is 4/c so it can be used to calculate the speed of sound. The y-intercept is 4e/c so the end correction can be calculated from that.