Sunday 11 July 2021

Looking at the reported daily Covid cases

 

I have previously only used Office for National Statistics survey data as this is randomised and doesn't rely on people reporting for tests. However, I decided to look at the reported daily cases for the same time frame as yesterday's post about ONS data. I got the data from https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/cases. My time frame is two days out. The trend is clearly linear so the reported cases are rising exponentially. I tried hard to see the same change in gradient but I'm not convinced. If ONS is correct, it suggests that reported cases are slightly too low. The reported cases with a gradient of 0.0581 give R=1.37 in my model. If it continues to grow at this rate, it will reach 100,000 a day by the end of the month.