Friday 19 September 2014

Water feature in Slab Square, Nottingham




Slab Square is what a lot of people call the Old Market Square in Nottingham. It's changed a bit since I moved north. This water feature has appeared. I was fascinated by the waves on the surface and spent some time trying to figure out how it works. Given the waterfall at one end, there must be some movement of water along its length, although of course you'd think that the SURFACE of the water can't slope downwards. This would account for the waves I saw across the width of the feature. But I couldn't see where the water was coming up onto the table. It is deeper in the middle than at the sides. I was pleased with the pigeons because they acted as sources of circular ripples that spread outwards like the ones on the ripple tank in the lab. So can a water surface slope downwards? What about my mountain streams? I will have to think about it.