Monday 22 December 2014

Almost the shortest day in Radley

Radley is a village just south of Oxford. Its church is very old. Part of it was destroyed in a battle in the Civil War. I'm not sure how old the sundial is but I suspect it's been through the Winter Solstice a few times. 
If you enlarge the photograph you will see that the shadow on the left hand (west facing) dial is 3.45pm. Notice that the lines are not evenly spaced. 

I've blogged about sundials before. Every time I read about them I discover that they are more complicated than I expected. This type of sundial has a slanted shadow stick (gnomon). I think the angle is fixed by the latitude of the place. In this case, Radley is 51 degrees North of the Equator. I was interested in the west facing sundial which has a gnomon clear of the wall. Is the gnomon to the same angle? I need to take some measurements next time I go. I also need to remember to see if sundials in the south really do have a different angle to those up here in the north. Also notice that the hour lines are not evenly spaced.