Saturday 31 October 2015

Convection on the morning before All Saints



It's All Saints day tomorrow. I've never made a pumpkin. When I was little, they hadn't arrived over here. We did apple bobbing. Mrs B gave me some pumpkin seeds and this is what grew. Looks like a marrow but we craved them anyway. I did the big one and Mrs B did the little one. We had to cut a slot into the lid of the little one. A burning candle needs oxygen. Getting fresh oxygen in needs convection. The hot air rising from the flame has to go somewhere. And its departure leaves a lower pressure space that pulls in air from the surroundings. The hot air needs to leave from the top; the cold air comes in at the bottom. My pumpkin was big enough for the facial features to service both needs. In the smaller pumpkin, the features were so low that the hot air could not escape and thus no cold air was pulled in.