Saturday 19 December 2020

How hard was that kick?

 I wanted to know how many Newtons of force I use to kick a football. I wrapped the ball in foil and weighed it. It has a mass of 0.385kg.

I needed to time the contact between my foot and the ball. I used the Scaler/Timer on "timing" mode with the leads conected to Start and Earth. In this mode, it times how long the two leads are in contact when they touch.
Next I put foil on my shoe to kick the ball.
The contact time recorded was 0.039 seconds.
I then filmed how far along the ball went. 
Stopping the film showed that the ball had gone 3.25 metres. The table was 0.85 metres high. Using the suvat equation s=ut+1/2at^2 for the vertical drop of the ball, it was in the air for 0.41 seconds. Assuming constant horizontal speed, the ball left my foot with a speed of 3.25/0.41=7.8m/s. So after the kick, the ball had a momentum of 0.385 x 7.8 = 3.0kgm/s. It had 0 momentum before the kick so the change in momentum was 3.0kgm/s. The kick lasted 0.039 seconds so using force = change in momentum/time taken, F=3.0/0.39 = 77N.