Wednesday 23 December 2020

The Packwoman's Grave in Rossett Gill: satellite resolution

 

In Wainwright's Guide to the Southern Fells, he mentions on page 4 of the Rossett Pike page about the grave of packwoman from the late 1700s. I read about it over 40 years ago but because he declines to reveal the exact location, I assumed I'd never visit. It turns out that it is 300 metres higher up than I had imagined as a child and is considerably bigger than I was expecting. In fact, it is so big that it is visible from space on the Google Maps satellite image. The large stone at the end is covered by 9 pixels at the highest magnification so that suggests a pixel covers a 10cm square on the ground. I have now checked here and they state the resolution to be 15cm so I'm pleased with that estimate.